Registration of Divorce

General Information

  • A divorce shall be registered at the Royal Thai Embassy only in the case of the Registration between Thai nationals or between a Thai national and a non-Thai, and the Registration is valid under Thai law.
  • An appointment to register a divorce has to be made at least seven working days in advance. All required documents must be submitted in advance to an officer to verify and prepare relevant documents.
  • Both parties must be present and voluntarily apply for a Divorce Certificate.
  • Registration of Divorce is free of charge.

Required Documents

  • An Application for Registration of Divorce Form, which can be downloaded from the Royal Thai Embassy’s website. Complete the form and sign by both parties.
  • An original Marriage Certificate held by each party.
  • A valid Passport of both parties.
  • A copy of Thai National ID Card or Household Registration of both parties if the parties are Thai citizens.
  • In case a party is non-Thai, you can use an Australian Driver License.
  • In the case that the parties had registered for a marriage before, a copy of Divorce Certificate must be submitted.
  • Two witnesses must be present during the lodgement of the application with their Thai National ID Card or Passport together with a copy.

Change of Surname

  • In case a divorced woman of Thai nationality wishes to change her surname, it can only be done by registering the Family Status at the District Office in Thailand.