About Thai Embassy
Thailand and Australia established formal diplomatic relations on 19 December 1952, although before that there was a relationship between each other, but still considered unofficial. Because Australia is a state in the British Commonwealth Australia’s relations with Thailand are still under the British policy. After establishing diplomatic relations The Thai government therefore opened the Royal Thai Legation in 1952 and raised its status as the Royal Thai Embassy in 1955.
In the first phase, the office and residence of the Thai ambassador is the same place. By using the name Royal Thai Legation, located at 47 Melbourne Avenue, Forrest, ACT, which is rented from RA McKillop since December 1, 1952
On January 5, 1954, the Thai government bought a house number 15 Mugga Way, Red Hill, ACT from Colonel Mervyn John Holmes to be the residence of the Thai ambassador for 10,000 pounds in Australia. For the land that the house has been rented from the Australian government for 99 years, the office has moved to the house number 1 Fraser Place, Yarralumla, ACT from 1 April 1954, later moved to the house. Rent No. 9 Daly Street, Deakin, ACT since November 1965
The first Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Thailand to Australia is HE Ambassador Kantathi Suphamongkhon and has 4 officers from the embassy. At that time, there was an office for Thai students. And the military assistant ambassador office in Canberra
The first official visit to Australia
His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Boromart, Bophit and Queen Sirikit His Majesty the King in the 9th Birthday of His Majesty the King visited Australia for the first time. Between 26 August – 12 September 1962, by visiting the various states of Australia For Canberra Both of them visited the residence of the Ambassador No. 15 Mugga Way, Red Hill, ACT on August 28, 1962 by the Ambassador (Mr. Wattana Isarabhakdi) and his wife, along with Thai citizens in Canberra. His Highness
Ambassador Building Project
The Ambassador House Construction Project was initiated in 1965 during the ambassador (Mr. Prasong Boonjem), by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ordered the embassy to consider requesting to book land from the Australian government.
In 1966, the Embassy hired Mr. TN Olgay to draft the embassy building format for the first time. By using the Royal Thai Embassy building as a prototype and having the Fine Arts Department as an assistant in the roof design
In 1967, the embassy signed an agreement to lease land from the Australian government. Block 7, Section 86, Yarralumla is currently number 111 Empire Circuit, Yarralumla, ACT for 99 years with an area of about 2 acres. About 5 rai of land, which the Thai government has to pay yearly land rental And must have a new rental appraisal every 20 years according to the contract
For the Ambassador’s residence The foundation stone laying ceremony was started on 11 March 1970 with Meli & Eglitis Pty, Ltd. as the contractor and Mr. TN Olgay. The construction took about 17 months. The Ambassador (Mr. Prasong Boonjem) moved from the old house No. 15 Mugga Way, Red Hill, ACT to the new house on 9 September 1971 and invited King While holding the title Her Royal Highness Prince Wachira Lakkanon presided over the opening ceremony on 18 September 1971
For the embassy office The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has approved the modification of the accommodation, trackers and garages as temporary offices. Which is located in the same area as the Ambassador’s residence The construction was completed before the house for about 1 month, but had to wait for the electrical connection and the phone for several days. Finally moved to the office from the rental house, No. 9 Daly Street, Deakin, ACT to the new office on 15 August 1971.
Improvement of the embassy office in 1996 – 1998
Later, during the ambassador (Mrs. Laksana Chantaralaohaphan) has renovated the embassy’s main office And construction of a multi-purpose building (Thai Sala) to show foreigners to see the beautiful and unique Thai architecture It is also a national symbol of Thailand. In the construction process, Thai architects have been hired to design and bring decorative materials from Thailand such as wood, carved walls, glass columns, ceilings and gables. 1996 – 1998 with Barclay Mowlem as the contractor and the Bunning and Madden company as the supervisor. In addition, he was supported by Prof. Bunnak Nakhangluck, former Vice President. Academic Department, Faculty of Fine Arts Chiang Mai University, Khun Suthinee, Muang Saen, Thai people living in Canberra Helped to be an interior decorator in the interior decoration of the building with the concept of showing Thai identity. And used as a place to promote Thai art and culture in various forms as an art gallery With the display of Thai art works in Thai pavilions with subtitles Including the decoration of the main pillars of the building with gold leaf Which are all works of art that are beautiful. On 14 July 1998, the Royal Thai Embassy Officially held the opening ceremony of the new office building and Thai Pavilion, with Dr. Surin Pisuwan, Minister of Foreign Affairs at that time, and Tim Fischer, Deputy Prime Minister and Mr. Alexander Downer, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Australia at that time Presided over the ceremony
At present, the 3 buildings of the embassy are the Ambassador’s residence. The Thai Sala office building is the landmark for tourists visiting Canberra. And is a building that honors Thai dignity to be known in Australia